Powered by

Brothers Loomis & George Palmer

(PID:35611062474) Source
posted by Mike Fitzpatrick alias Piedmont Fossil on Tuesday 8th of August 2017 04:07:27 PM

Loomis Palmer on left (a close inspection reveals that this photo is a mirror image, thus probably copied from a tintype), George Palmer on right. Double CDV Photograph by: unknown, but a note on the album page indicates the CDV was produced in Baltimore, Maryland Inscription in period ink on back: "Loomis T. Palmer 65th N.Y.S. Vols. George S. Palmer 20th Conn Vols. residence Cramuvell [sic], Conn." ***** Summary Data for Loomis T. Palmer (1843 - 1896) State or Country of birth: Tolland County, CT Home prior to enlistment: Newark, New Jersey Occupation prior to enlistment: bookkeeper Service: ...Co. C, 67th NY Infantry - 1861 - 1864 ...Co. C, 65th NY Vol. Inf. - 1864 - 1865 Rank at enlistment: private Highest rank attained: commissary sergeant Principal combat experience: ...Yorktown, Virginia ...Fair Oaks, Virginia ...Seven Days Battle, Virginia ...Antietam, Maryland ...Fredericksburg, Virginia ...Marye's Heights & Salem Church, Virginia ...Gettysburg, Pennsylvania ...The Wilderness, Virginia ...Spottsylvania, Virginia ...Cold Harbor, Virginia ...Petersburg, Virginia ...Weldon Railroad, Virginia ...Appomattox, Virginia Casualties: none Loomis Tarbox Palmer was born August 29, 1843 at West Stafford in Tolland County, Connecticut. He was the fifth of eight children born to Reverend Elliot Palmer, a Congregationalist Clergyman. By 1860 the family had moved to Newark, New Jersey. In the summer of 1861, not long after the first call for volunteers, Loomis left his job as a bookkeeper and enrolled in Company C, 1st Long Island Volunteers. He enlisted on June 11, 1861 and was mustered into the service on June 24 for a period of three years. At the time of his enlistment he would have been only 17 years old, still two months shy of his 18th birthday. He may have lied about his age, however, as his military records indicate he was 21. Loomis Palmer's descriptive list indicates he had blue eyes, light hair, a light complexion and stood 5 feet 8 inches. At first the regiment was called the 1st Long Island Volunteers, but on August 19, 1861 the official state designation was changed to the 67th New York Volunteer Infantry. Loomis Palmer's military records are not very detailed, but it appears he remained with his regiment throughout most of his enlistment. If that is the case, then he would have been present at the numerous engagements in which the 67th NY took part, including Fair Oaks, the Seven Days Battle, Antietam, Marye's Heights & Salem Church, Gettysburg, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania, and Petersburg. Somewhere along the line, he was guilty of throwing away two haversacks, and had his pay docked in October 1863 to pay for the loss. On Christmas Day, 1863 Loomis Palmer reenlisted as a veteran volunteer while the regiment was encamped at Brandy Station, Virginia. In March 1864 he was promoted to corporal. On June 20, 1864 the original members of the 67th NY who had not reenlisted and were due to be discharged upon the expiration of their three-year term of enlistment returned to Brooklyn, where they were mustered out. Loomis Palmer along with the other veterans and recruits were then consolidated into a battalion of five companies, which remained at the front bearing the regimental designation. In early July 1864, the battalion was part of the Union Army's Sixth Corps that was pulled out of the trenches of Petersburg to be rushed to reinforce the defenses of Washington, DC in response to the threat posed by the rebel attack there under General Jubal Early. About this same time, on July 8, 1864, Corporal Palmer was detailed to the Commissary Department. Beginning in August the battalion advanced down the Shenandoah Valley in pursuit of General Early and his retreating rebel army. At Charleston, West Virginia, on August 31, 1864 the veterans of the 67th NY, including Loomis Palmer, were transferred into the 65th New York Infantry, joining with the veterans of that organization. The next day, September 1, 1864, Palmer was promoted to Commissary Sergeant and was officially transferred from the rolls of Company C, 65th NY to the regimental Field and Staff. Over the next two months the regiment took part in the battles of Opequon and Cedar Creek, but because Loomis Palmer was reported as "Absent with Waggon [sic] train" sometime during the months of September and October, it is not clear if he had been present for either of those engagements. By November he was again listed as present with his regiment and was with it when the 65th NY returned to Petersburg in time for the spring campaign in 1865. The 65th New York participated in the Appomattox campaign that culminated in the surrender of Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia on April 9, 1865. The veterans of the 65th New York Infantry mustered out of the army on July 17, 1865 at Halls Hill, Virginia. Loomis Palmer paid a nominal fee to keep his NCO sword when he left the army; his military records stating succinctly, "Due U.S. for one Non Com Officer's Sword Belt & Frog 87 cents." After the war, Loomis Palmer returned to northern New Jersey where he worked as a book agent in Elizabeth, NJ. He married Maria C. Vanhorstrand on May 8, 1866, but the union produced no children. Loomis Palmer died at his home in Elizabeth, NJ, on May 24, 1896 at the age of 52. After his death, his widow went to live with her brother and his family. ****************** Summary Data for George S. Palmer (1838 - 1912) State or Country of birth: Tolland County, CT Home prior to enlistment: Unknown, but possibly Cromwell, CT Occupation prior to enlistment: farmer Service: ...Co. D 20th CT Inf. - 1862 - 1865 Rank at enlistment: private Highest rank attained: private Principal combat experience: ...Resaca , Georgia ...Cassville, Georgia ...Peach Tree Creek, Georgia ...Siege of Atlanta, Georgia ...Turners Ferry, Georgia Casualties: Post-war deafness caused by wartime exposure to loud noise. George Sumner Palmer was born June 16, 1838 at West Stafford in Tolland County, Connecticut. He was the fourth of eight children born to Reverend Elliot Palmer, a Congregationalist Clergyman. By 1860 the family had moved to Newark, New Jersey, although George had returned to Connecticut in the vicinity of Cromwell, just north of Middletown before 1862. A year after his younger brother, Loomis Palmer, enlisted in the Union army in New York, George followed suit in Connecticut. George enrolled August 13, 1862 at Cromwell, Connecticut as a private in Company D, 20th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered into the service at New Haven, Connecticut on September 8, 1862, but for some unknown reason he was recorded on the roster as George H. Palmer rather than with his true middle initial as George S. Palmer. His descriptive list indicates he had blue eyes, brown hair, dark complexion and stood 5 feet 5 and a half inches tall. By occupation he was listed as a farmer. On September 11, 1862 the regiment left Connecticut for Washington, DC, but missed the battle of Antietam later that month. By the end of the year the 20th Connecticut had moved to Fairfax Station, Virginia. Once again they had missed a major battle when the battle of Fredericksburg was fought without them. So far the men had yet to see any combat, however, they were not without casualties. Disease is a great scourge of armies in camp. That winter George Palmer contracted a double dose. On January 19, 1863 he was left behind sick with Typhoid fever and chronic diarrhea as his regiment departed Fairfax Station for Stafford Court House. Shortly thereafter he was sent to Campbell General Hospital in Washington, DC. Palmer was furloughed from the hospital on March 29, 1863, to recuperate at home for 20 days and was readmitted on April 17, 1863 at the end of his leave. On his return to Washington he was furnished transportation between Hartford, Connecticut and New York City "at a cost of $2.24." Medical science of that time was not cognizant of germ theory or disease vectors. Hospitals could either cure or incubate disease. George Palmer's pension records indicate, "he was taken with Typhoid fever and chronic diarrhea and was sent to Campbell Hospital, Washington, DC. That while in said hospital he was taken with Dumb ague or Malaria." As a result of his prolonged illness he remained "in Campbell Hospital Washington, DC in the spring, summer & fall of 1863." Meanwhile his regiment had received its baptism of fire at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg in his absence. On October 5, 1863 George Palmer was finally released from the hospital and returned to duty. He rejoined his regiment, recently transferred to Tennessee and then on guard duty along Nashville & Chattanooga Rail Road. The 20th Connecticut took part in General Sherman's drive into Georgia in the spring of 1864. Here at last George Palmer could do what he had enlisted to do -- fight. His military record states that he "participated in the following battles, Resaca, Ga. May 15/64. Cassville, Ga. May 19/64, Peach Tree Creek, Ga. July 20/64, Siege of Atlanta, Ga. Turners Ferry, Ga. Aug 27/64." On September 2, 1864 the Union Army occupied the city of Atlanta, and preparations were made prior to its stepping off on its March To The Sea in mid November. During the march the army would be cut off from its base of supplies and living off the land. George Palmer was detached from his Company and detailed to the 20th Army Corps Commissary on November 3, 1864. As such, he was probably one of those responsible for officially requisitioning foodstuffs from the local population and distributing it to the troops. In this capacity his actions may have been better sanctioned than those of the free-lance bummers who roamed the countryside during the march pillaging whatever they could find for their personal gain. Palmer remained on detached service throughout the March To The Sea and the subsequent Carolina campaign. Even after the Confederate surrender in April 1865 he continued on detached service. George Palmer was not officially returned to his Company until May 30, 1865. Two weeks later, he and the other members of his regiment were mustered out of the army and discharged on June 13, 1865 at Washington, DC. George Palmer returned to farming in Connecticut. He lived in Cromwell until 1866 and then moved to Baltimore, Maryland for two years until 1868, when he returned to New England. The 1870 census shows he was once again living with his parents, now in Portland not far from his previous residence in Cromwell. He earned his living as a farmer and dairyman. On February 21, 1871 he married a woman named Elizabeth at the Episcopal Church just down the road in Middle Haddam, Connecticut. His wife was about ten years younger than he was. Over the years the couple had eight children, only four of whom lived to adulthood; William. G. Palmer, born in October 1871, Frederick G. Palmer born in 1880, Gertrude H. Palmer born in 1885 and Frances Van Palmer born in 1887. In reference to his marriage, George later stated in his post war pension application that he "never was married before one is enough for me." It is not clear from his unqualified written statement whether he was unhappy and soured on the idea of marriage, or if he was quite happy and more than satisfied with the wife he had. As he grew older George suffered from hearing loss that he attributed to his time in the army. In 1903 he complained about "...a continual ringing noise in my head caused by the discharge of artillery which we supported at different times during my service of three years in the Civil War to sustain my country and old glory." By then he had also developed arthritis in his joints and a heart condition such that, "The least exertion or excitement causes my heart to flutter one beat so violently that at times [it] seems as if I could not live." George Palmer died at the age of 73 on February 20, 1912. His wife and four children survived him.

on topic

License and Use

This Medical Supplies Near Me Now - brothers-loomis-george-palmer on image has 1024x867 pixels (original) and is uploaded to . The image size is 193691 byte. If you have a problem about intellectual property, child pornography or immature images with any of these pictures, please send report email to a webmaster at , to remove it from web.

Any questions about us or this searchengine simply use our contact form

  • Published 09.29.22
  • Resolution 1024x867
  • Image type jpg
  • File Size 193691 byte.

Related Photos


comments powered by Disqus