Powered by

One thing for certain at the Yongsan Tax Center

(PID:6850306287) Source
posted by Morning Calm Weekly Newspaper Installation Management Command, U.S. Army alias U.S. Army Korea (Historical Image Archive) on Friday 10th of February 2012 06:40:20 AM

Learn More About U.S. Army in Korea One thing for certain at the Yongsan Tax Center By Staff Sgt. Cody Harding Jamie Byun, Tax Paralegal [email protected] YONGSAN GARRISON - To help Soldiers prepare for the upcoming tax season, the Yongsan Tax Center officially opened its doors to the public with a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Moyer Community Activities Center Jan. 31. The Yongsan Tax Center, held by the 8th Army Staff Judge Advocate, provides free service to the Yongsan Community, including Civilians and Family members to help file their taxes and send in their returns. The staff of the Yongsan Tax Center is also trained in the United States Tax Code, making the process easier and less risky. The Yongsan Tax Center opened with a speech from Col. William Huber, the Yongsan Garrison Commander, about the success of last year’s tax center and the importance the facility serves to the Community. He made sure to mention that last year’s tax center had brought in over $5 million in returns to the Community. With that, Huber, Capt. Dana Neumann, the Yongsan Tax Center commander, and Col. Jeff McKitrick, the Staff Judge Advocate for United States Forces Korea, cut the ribbon to the Yongsan Tax Center, signifying the start of the tax season for Yongsan Garrison. Although April 15 is the standard deadline, due to the Garrison’s overseas location there is a two-month grace period for filing, extending the date to June 15. “This tax center is a critical service and asset to the Community,” Huber said. “A lot of people are going to come in here, and it is a stressful time for people.” McKitrick, who is overseeing his second tax center on Yongsan, said it is a large commitment for the Community and the command to set up the tax center, but that it pays out in the end. “What we end up doing is, when you think about the tax preparation service, it relieves the Servicemember, Family member, or retiree from having to buy tax software or going to another tax preparer and paying them money,” McKitrick said. “So not only do we get the returns, but we have a significant amount of money we save the Servicemember for tax preparation services.” The Yongsan Tax Center will be open for appointments from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and from 1-7 p.m. on Thursdays, through June 1. Please check the 8th Army Client Legal Services website ( and USAG Yongsan Facebook page for any changes in operating times. Taxpayers who wish to have a 1040EZ prepared need not make an appointment. They can simply drop off applicable W-2s and they will receive a call when their return is completed. The services are available to all active duty Military, Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees, retired Military, reserve component Servicemembers on more than 29 days of active duty, and qualifying dependents of these personnel. Services are not available to DoD contractors per Army Regulation. In the meantime, as you are preparing for you appointment, please keep in mind the following tips: 1. Verify the name and number on your Social Security cards. Be sure that the name on your Social Security card matches the name you will use on your tax return. A mismatched name and Social Security Number is the most common reason for rejected tax returns and therefore delayed refunds. This can be a problem for taxpayers who have recently married or divorced. If you did not submit an application for a name change with the Social Security Administration (SSA), your name has not been officially changed by SSA. You can do this by completing the SS-5 application, which is available at, and you must submit a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree. If you wish to have your tax return prepared by the YTC, you MUST bring Social Security cards for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. Service members are the only taxpayers who may provide their military identification instead of their Social Security card. 2. Gather your tax documents. Most of your tax documents should already be available. For those of you who are new to filing tax returns, the documents you most likely need are IRS Forms W-2, 1099, and 1098. Your W-2 is your annual income state ment from your employer. If you receive military income, you can access your W-2 on the MyPay website. You may also have a Form 1099 if you received unearned income, such as interest from a savings account or student loan payments. Form 1098 details the amount of interest and mortgage-related expenses paid on a mortgage during the tax year, which can be used as deductions on a tax return. These forms are sent to you by your financial institution. 3. Get a special power of attorney or IRS Form 2848, if either you or your spouse cannot both be present to sign your tax return at the YTC. If you and your spouse wish to file jointly but cannot both be present during the preparation of your tax return at the YTC, you have a few options for signing the return. One option is to sign a paper return, send it to your spouse, and have your spouse sign and mail the return to the IRS. Keep in mind, however, that returns may get lost or delayed in the mail. Another option you have is to sign both your name and your spouse’s name using a special power of attorney or IRS Form 2848. You can obtain a special power of attorney at the Client Legal Services Office, located on the second floor of the ACS Building. 4. Find out your bank routing and account numbers. If you are expecting a refund and wish to have your refund deposited directly into your bank account, or if you will have a balance due and wish to make a direct debit, bring your bank’s routing and account numbers with you to the YTC. Service members can find this information online at MyPay. Your routing and account numbers are also usually located on your personal checks and deposit slips. 5. Confirm whether you can claim the dependency exemption for your child. Divorce and separation have tax consequences, particularly when children are involved. The IRS assumes that the taxpayer with primary physical custody of the child is entitled to claim the dependency exemption and any available child tax credits. If you are the noncustodial parent and wish to claim an exemption and/or credits for your children, you must have written evidence of your entitlement (e.g. exemption clause in a marital separation agreement, IRS Form 8332, or similar signed statement to release a claim to the exemption). For more information, call DSN 723-5519 or stop by the Yongsan Tax Center, located in room 113 of the Moyer Community Activities Center, Main Post, USAG Yongsan.

Irs Direct Pay Credit Card,
How Does Direct Pay Work With Irs,
Is It Better To Pay Irs With Credit Card,

on topic

License and Use

This Irs Direct Pay Credit Card - one-thing-for-certain-at-the-yongsan-tax-center on image has 680x1024 pixels (original) and is uploaded to . The image size is 167269 byte. If you have a problem about intellectual property, child pornography or immature images with any of these pictures, please send report email to a webmaster at , to remove it from web.

Any questions about us or this searchengine simply use our contact form

  • Published 12.05.22
  • Resolution 680x1024
  • Image type jpg
  • File Size 167269 byte.

Related Photos


comments powered by Disqus