Powered by

Turnpike Street, 388, The Calendar Gas Station, 388 Turnpike St., Easton, MA, source, Green Flyer, info, Easton Historical Society

(PID:51531041304) Source
posted by alias Historical Images on Thursday 21st of May 2015 05:25:21 PM

More information on this image is available at the Easton Historical Society in North Easton, MA , source, The Calendar Gas Station, 388 Turnpike St., Easton, MA, source, Green Flyer, info, Easton Historical Society , image, Claral Studio and The Green Flyer In 1946, Ralph and Claire Carroll bought the house and poultry farm at the corner of Howard and Prospect Streets in South Easton. There were seventeen acres of farm buildings, fields, woods, and lots of chickens. They wanted their four children to grow up in the country. Ralph was a city boy and had no idea what he was getting into. It soon became apparent that the egg business was not going to feed six people. Claire and Ralph started a small offset printing business, Claral Studio. They printed business cards, tickets for events, report cards and schedule cards for the school system, church bulletins for many of the eight churches in Easton. They printed music for the Robert King Music Company. In 1955, they started publication of a bi-weekly shopper’s guide named Easton Green Flyer. Publishing the Green Flyer was a family event. Even the children were recruited to collate, staple, and bundle the flyers for distribution to each household in town. In the early days, the flyers were addressed individually. Stencils were typed, and the papers were run through the stenciling machine by hand to print the addresses. The later use of bulk mail was a welcome improvement. The paper was always free and was so popular that people complained if their copy did not arrive. There was no news as the primary purpose was to advertise local merchants. There were a few extra features. - This & That - was a short list of reader ads to buy, sell, or trade merchandise or services. There was at least one children’s art contest. The address portion of the back page could be entered in a drawing at the William N. Howard Insurance Company to win a ten-dollar certificate to spend at participating Easton businesses. The most popular feature was - Easton in Pictures. - Miss Irene Poirier, the librarian at Ames Free Library, was one of writers of articles, each a description of a significant building or location in Easton. She then sent it to Ralph, who took a picture of the article subject and published them in the next issue of the Green Flyer. The paper had an amusing effect on one of the town’s merchants. Every other week, Claire went around to the customers, gathering the copy for the next week’s advertisements. Sundells owned a Shell gas station and garage across from the Rockery. The copy was often not ready in time, requiring another visit. One week, she gave up, and the ad did not appear. On the Sundells’ copy only, in the margin next to the ad’s customary location, she wrote - Looking for something? - After some initial sputtering and fuming, Mr. Sundell saw the humor in it, and adopted it as his slogan, - Looking for something? In Easton, it’s Sundells. - This appeared in ads from then on, and long after the Green Flyer ceased publication, it could be seen on a billboard next to the gas station. In 1965, Ralph decided to pursue an ambition to be a missionary to Africa by moving to Texas, where training was available. He sold the printing business, and it was moved to North Easton, in a basement on Main Street. Both the Green Flyer and Claral Studio thus faded into history. source, Claral Studio and The Green Flyer, Ralph and Claire Carroll, 1955-1965, source, Jay Gipson, info, Easton Historical Society , The development by Oliver Ames and Sons Corporation of the factory and village land use in a rather organic manner with a mix work-related classes created an integrated geographic network. The housing on perimeter edge with factories and business affairs in the center creating the village concept in North Easton. Other important concepts were the Furnace Village Cemetery, Furnace Village Grammar School and the Furnace Village Store, which explains Eastondale, Furnace Village and other sections of Easton. source: Massachusetts Historical Commission , History of Early School Days in Eastondale and Turnpike Street below ., Eastondale Grammar School In 1886, William L. Chaffin, in his book, History of Easton, wrote - In 1754, the town was divided into four school quarters which saw the beginning of the district system. The South East Quarter of the Town raised their schoolhouse near Seth Lathrop's property at 390 Turnpike Street on December 14,1770. This district was a very large one, so another building was erected farther south, on the west side of the turnpike, a little below where Robert Rippner now lives. This appears to have been built somewhat before 1808, for at that date it was called the new schoolhouse. These were not regarded as two separate districts, as school was done in these two schoolhouses at the same time. The money for the whole quarter was divided, and the terms of school were kept alternately in the two schoolhouses. The district school caretakers were not required to make any report to the town until after 1838. In 1838, a law was passed making the report a part of their duty. All the business details, such as hiring teachers, and care of schoolhouses were managed by the district committees. This plan continued until the district system was abolished in 1869. At that time, the entire management of all school matters was put into the hands of a School Committee. The number of this committee was at first not less than five. - An arrangement was made to accommodate those living in the extreme north and south parts of the whole quarter. School children could choose to attend school in both schoolhouses in turn. This arrangement continued until 1818. In June of 1818, Asa Howard sold land for a school house at the intersection of Turnpike and Washington Streets for the purpose building a school house. In September of 1924, the Eastondale Grammar School at the intersection of Washington and Turnpike Streets was closed. Until 1929, the students in the Eastondale neighborhood were transported to the South Easton Grammar School at 580 Washington Street. On August 29, 1929, the inspector for the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety, R. Beaudry gave the Town a Certificate of Approval for meeting specifications in the construction of the Eastondale Grammar School at 70 Pine Street in Eastondale. In 1929, the designer of the Eastondale Grade School building was James E. McLaughlin of McLaughlin & Burr Architects in Boston. The Eastondale Grade School building was built for the neighborhood grammar school children to reduce the overcrowding at South Easton Grammar School at 580 Washington Street. In 1849, South Easton Grammar School was built, with an addition used for grammar and primary classrooms. In the 1900s through the 1920s, James E. McLaughlin was in partnership with the architect firm, McLaughlin Burr & McLaughlin in Boston. They were the architects for buildings at the State Hospital in Foxborough, MA. Falls School in North Attleboro, Cohannet Elementary School in Taunton, Benedict Fenwick School in Boston, Boston Public Latin School, and Boston Trade School. Also, the Albert J. Parlin High School in Everett, Montclair Elementary School in Quincy, Saltonstall School in Salem, and Albert J. Lewis Grammar School, Everett. The dedication of the Eastondale Grade School at 70 Pine Street was held on April 14, 1930. In 1938, the addition of one room to the Eastondale Grammar School was done with some funding from the Federal Public Works of Art project. The designer of the original Eastondale School building, James E McLaughlin of McLaughlin & Burr Architects in Boston, designed the one room addition. In 1938, all playground equipment in Easton, except for the new Furnace Village School, was underwritten by teachers, students, parents, private organizations, and community-oriented people. On November 12, 1938, records show R. W. Beaudry from the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety made the inspection of the new addition. In 1981, the Eastondale Elementary School was closed and the Town of Easton disposed of the property in a private sale in 1984. source: Easton Historical Society source; Massachusetts Historical Commission source: Ancestry source: History of Easton, Volume II, 1886-1974, Easton Historical Society source: Reminiscences, Early School Days in Eastondale, Edwin H. White, 1950s, Easton Historical Society source: History of Easton, William L. Chaffin, 1886 source: Easton’s Neighborhoods, Edmund C. Hands, 1995 . Early School Days in Eastondale, Edwin H. White, 1950s The following is part of a paper that Edwin H. White presented to the Easton Historical Society in the 1950s. In 1818, Asa Howard sold land for a school house at the intersection of Turnpike and Washington Streets, upon which a school house was built. In 1869, the building was moved near what is now Joseph Dardeno's House at 390 Turnpike Street. (1950s) This was where my father attended school. Also in 1869, a second building was erected on this site. It has recently been torn down, but it was a sore spot to our neighborhood for several years. It was set afire several times, but true to their duty, our firefighters saved a part of the building each time. I understand that during the last fire, the State Inspector appeared while it was still burning and ordered the firemen to extinguish the fire. This was the building in which I first attended school at the age of six. The following are the names of the teachers in their order while I attended school in this building: Miss Henrietta Gilmore, William Springer. Miss Cathell, Miss Jessie Bird and Miss Mary Young. The janitor was one of the older boys, and it became my job for two years, from 1882 to 1884. I had to be there early in the morning to sweep the floor three times a week, start the fire, and heat the school room where the pupils were taught, some of them walking a mile from either direction. There were no buses to carry us and our ears and toes many days seemed frozen even though we were dressed warmly with heavy woolen or red flannel underclothing, woolen stockings, and scarves or tippets as they were called, all of which our mothers had knitted in the long hours of the evening. I also had to fill the wooden pails with fresh water every morning, one for the girls ante room and one for the boys. These pails of water were kept on a shelf over an old iron sink, and a single long handled dipper hung on a nail nearby. I often wonder where the germs were in those days that two dippers were enough for all the children. There was no well on the school grounds, and I had to go a distance to a neighbor's old well sweep to fill the pails and return them to their proper place. Sometimes I had to fill the pails more than once if the children were unusually thirsty. However, the last year I was there, the Town dug a well on the school, and installed a cucumber pump, which made the job easier. For fear some of you may not know about a cucumber pump, it was a six-inch square box. extending down into the well and about five feet above the well. A long handle attached allowed long strokes for pumping the water. The schoolhouse was heated by a big oblong wood burning stove in the cellar. This stove, for safety from fire, was built upon a stone foundation and the upper part was enclosed with brick up to the floor and to the register which was in the front of the school room. The smoke pipe came up through the register to the the of room and extended the length of the room to a chimney in the north end of the building suspended by wires attached to the ceiling. Many a one and one-half foot log have I put into that stove. I received twenty-six dollars and fifty cents a for the school year. That was enough for a suit of clothes, a hat, and a ticket for Dickerman's Sunday School Excursion during summer vacation, a big annual event in those days. The building was about thirty by forty feet. Doors on each side, one for the girls and one for the boys, opened into entries where our outer wraps were left. These entries opened into a vestibule and here the register was located. This vestibule could be separated from the classroom by two sliding gates which could be locked when occasion required. The classroom itself was occupied by four rows of double desks, not open tops. Two pupils sat at each desk. Boys were on one side of the room and the girls on the other, but notes could get across the line sometimes. Long seats were built on both sides of the room, and these seats were used for recitation purposes. As classes were called by the teacher, the pupils left their seats and went in order to these long seats. Then, as called upon, each pupil would rise and recite. The hours were from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., and I p.m. to 4 p.m., with fifteen minutes recess both morning and afternoon. On pleasant days, we were allowed to play in the rear. All grades were taught in this school, from the ABC's to the fourth and fifth readers. Some of these books I have in my home. One is marked, Entered according to Act of Congress 1871. For the writing period, we were supplied with a lined blank book. Each page had a sample of writing at the top, and our lesson was to copy it. One day, hands were raised frantically. Teacher, there is something the matter with the ink. It was the janitor's responsibility to keep the ink wells filled, and the teacher looked to him for an explanation, but he was as puzzled as the other children. The teacher boarded on Purchase Street at the home of Mr. Rankin who was on the school committee. He supplied the ink for this school, and after hearing the teacher's story, he went to his cellar where the ink was stored and found he had made a mistake and sent a bottle of boiled cider in place of the bottle of ink. The poor janitor had poured the cider in the ink wells, and as you can readily guess, the cider and the ink already in the ink wells did not mix well. And now about discipline. I do not remember that there were any very bad boys. Of course, we had our fights and disagreements. A skunk sometimes found his way into the cellar and the school had to be closed. I would not care to tell you if the skunk got in there alone or if was aided by cellar windows being left open. I should like to speak again about the stove. As I think of it now, it was an interesting arrangement. The doors in front of the stove were lifted by chains. A tiny hole no larger than a screw hole was discovered, or made, in the floor near the desk of one of the boys, who attached a cord from this spot through the floor to the cellar, and far enough across to be attached to the outer housing doors, which were made of steel and had two handles. This boy could be studying apparently, and one of the most studious, when by pulling the rope under his desk, the doors which were hung on chains would drop down with a bang, and this noise would startle the teacher and children. She said, Janitor, I fear you did not close the stove doors properly. Please attend to it. But just as the janitor returned, the same thing happened again. But now the teacher caught glances from various parts of the room. This led her to the culprit and the rope. This school building was used until the new brick building of two rooms was erected on Pine Street and dedicated June, 1930. A third room-was later added. In our Eastondale building, we especially liked to watch the cattle being driven through the street, and the shepherd dog that accompanied the driver and helped to keep the drove in order. If they were going by at recess time, we forgot school and went along to help, only to return and find ourselves late. It was a common sight in those days to see cattle driven through the streets. They were being driven from the Brighton cattle mart and delivered to the respective buyers. In closing, I have a tale of how I was teased by some of the boys in the school. I took a pair of shoes one morning to the cobbler just below the school. They were to be retapped. Today we say resoled. That afternoon, the cobbler was seen trudging by with a side of sole leather on his back. A side was probably enough to sole twenty-five or thirty pairs of shoes. The boys said he had to get all that leather for my shoes. They really did razz me considerably as to the amount of leather required for my shoes. , Edwin C. White, following in the tradition of his grandfather and father, was President of Simpson Spring Company in 1967 until his retirement in 1988. For decades, Ed and his wife Evelyn (Lyn) lived in the second oldest house in Easton, the Benjamin Williams home at 539 Bay Road, which they totally restored. Ed and Lyn have been extremely active in the Easton community. Ed was the first president of the restored Easton Historical Society (1967-69), and facilitated many Antique Auto Meets at the Station. He was also the first Ames Free Library president to come from outside the Ames family, and was a trustee of the North Easton Savings Bank for 46 years, retiring as Chairman of the Board in 20I0. Lyn was one of the major spokespeople for saving Wheaton Farm, and provided the leadership for the creation of the Natural Resources Trust of Easton. (See History of Easton, Massachusetts: Volume Two, page 271.) She was also Executive Director of the Neponset River Watershed Association. Both Ed and Lyn have been active in Unity Church for many years. In 2001, the Lions Club presented the Whites the Outstanding Service Award, the highest award given. In addition, several years ago the Natural Resources Trust of Easton dedicated a bench on the foundation of the mansion of - Sheep Pasture - to Lyn and Ed White --Stewards of the Land. source: Reminiscences, Early School Days in Eastondale, Edwin H. White, 1950s, Easton Historical Society , South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District At the turn of the century, this section of Easton consisted of the Town Hall, the Evangelical Congregational Church, the Almshouse, and the Center School, with the one-story Easton Center Depot a little to the east. There were a number of farms along accessory roads like Purchase Street. The village area along Washington Street, from Morse's square stucco house near the southeastern corner of the intersection of Washington and Grove (now Belmont) Streets to the South Easton Depot south of the Green. Sequasset area, now called Eastondale, included the Eastondale Depot. Those who were not self-employed or employed in the South Easton/Eastondale area were apt to be workers in one of the many Brockton shoe factories. Transportation to their place of employment was by train via West Bridgewater and Matfield to Campello and locations north. Lighting was by oil, or a reasonable facsimile, since electricity was not available until the first decades of the twentieth century. Police protection was on an informal level and there were no physicians in the South Easton-Eastondale area. At this time each home had its own well and pump. The South Easton-Eastondale Fire and Water District was not organized until 1916. Fire protection was either by neighborhood assistance or had to come from North Easton or Brockton. Such was the case when the Rankin house at the duck farm burned. The duck farm, located on Purchase Street, was owned by James Rankin and employed a number of people. A large wagon load of crated duck would be shipped each morning from the Easton Center railroad station to destinations throughout the United States. The farmers sold their products by horse and wagon with daily milk routes being serviced. The milk was sold by the quart measure from eight-quart cans kept cool by ice. Seasonal products, such as apples and vegetables, were also sold. Another provision ordered and delivered to the home was meat. South Easton was serviced by Henry Heath and his son, Alfred Heath, who slaughtered their own beef. They delivered on a weekly basis and in the early 1900s two pounds of beef cost approximately twenty-four cents. A large part of their meat business was in smoked meats. Mr. Heath had a large smoke house, and people came from all over the area to have hams and bacon smoked. Many farmers did their own butchering, but had no smoke house, so they brought their meats to the Heath Smoke House. The same kind of services were provided by Cyrus Alger, who had meats and vegetables at his place on Turnpike Street. The Washington Street area contained the thread mills of the E. J. Morse Company, the post office, the general store operated for many years by the Horace Mitchell family, and the Grammar School (both the old and the new, built in 1903). Further south, at the Easton Green, was the very busy J. 0. Dean grist mill. Behind the mill was the Ross Heel Company which was owned by Mr. Dean's son-in-law, Edwin Kennedy. This was also where the Puritan rollaway screens were made in the early 1900s. Further south, along Washington Street, were the blacksmith shop, the depot on the left, and a new and thriving company on the right, the Simpson Spring Company. There were several paint and varnish shops in the area, and thermometers were made by the Poole's on Foundry Street. In the Eastondale area, grain, lumber, and daily provisions were available at James E. Howard and Sons Store. Originally his father, James M. Howard, had operated a store as part of his home on Pine Street before buying the two-and-a-half story structure on Turnpike Street. It was burnt on the evening of October 5, 1930, and it was replaced by a smaller one-story store built on the site and ready for operation by March 1931, by members of a third generation of the Howard family. Just as the South Easton Post Office was housed in or adjacent to the general store on Washington Street, so also was the Eastondale post office, operated by the Howard family for approximately fifty-five years. Other businesses on Turnpike Street were poultry farms and livery stables. Many of the residents attended the Evangelical Congregational Church at the CenteL Those in the southern part of Easton who were Catholic would travel by horse and wagon or train to North Easton and the Immaculate Conception Church. source: Easton Historical Society , August 23, 1915. To the Board of Water Commissioners, South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District, Mr. William N. Howard, Chairman. Gentlemen: — The State Department of Health received from you on Aug. 14, 1915, the following application for the approval by this Department, under the provisions of chapter 232 of the Special Acts of the year 1915, of the taking and use of water from Silver Lake for the water supply of the South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District through a contract with the water commissioners of the city of Brockton made under the provisions of said act. In order to comply with the conditions of the special act of 1915, chapter 232 in relation to the South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District, it becomes necessary to secure a certificate of approval by the State Department of Health of the source of supply and location of dams, reservoir, wells, etc., in compliance with section two of said act. The South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District is under contract with the city of Brockton, which city is furnishing the district with water from its regular supply which is Silver Lake, which source of supply has already been approved and is under constant inspection by the State Department of Health. The attorneys who are passing upon bonds require, however, that a certificate of approval from the State Department be furnished as the law states. The Department has considered the results of examinations of Silver Lake, the proposed source of supply, by the engineer of the Department and finds that the water is of good quality for domestic use and the supply adequate for the requirements of the South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District in addition to those of the city of Brockton and the towns now supplied by that city from Silver Lake. The State Department of Health hereby approves the use of water taken from Silver Lake and supplied through the works of the city of Brockton for the water supply of the South Easton and Eastondale Fire and Water District under the provisions of chapter 232 of the Special Acts of the year 1915. source: Annual Report of the State Board of Health of Massachusetts, 1915 source: Easton Historical Society source; Massachusetts Historical Commission source: Ancestry , Turnpike Street The Taunton and South Boston Turnpike runs from the town line by the Shoddy Mill place, nearly south to the Great Cedar-Swamp, and then in a slightly southwest course through the swamp into Raynham. We have just seen that a part of it was laid out in June, 1697. It took the place of the old road laid out as a southerly extension of Pine Street, which ran "to Bridgewater line near Harris's, and then on the east side of Harris's house and on the westerly side of his well, & so to Timothy Cooper's house on the easterly side thereof, and so by marked trees to the westerly side of Samuel Kinsley's house. James Harris lived between William C. Howard's house and mill, and from there the old road may be traced, crossing Purchase Street below Edwin T. Coward's barn, running east of Mr. Collins's and then southwest nearly to the present road. It was at later dates extended farther north and south ; in its southern part it was considerably east of where the turnpike now is. There was then no road through Cedar Swamp. Trees were however felled, and on these by hard work pedestrians at certain seasons could pick their way through from Easton to Raynham, or return. source: History of Easton, William L. Chaffin, 1886 , Turnpike Street The section of Turnpike Street from the West Bridgewater line to the intersection of Depot Street was known in the early 20th century as Sand Street. source: Massachusetts Historical Commission , Turnpike Street Turnpike Street was marked out as a cart path in 1703 and became an official road in 1762. The Taunton and South Boston Turnpike Co was incorporated in 1806 to operate a private road from Randolph through Stoughton, Brockton, Easton, and Raynham to Taunton. The road was completed in 1809. source: Massachusetts Historical Commission

Business Cards Near Me Printing,
Business Cards Printing Near Me Same Day,
Business Cards Printing Services Near Me,
Business Cards Printing Shop Near Me,
Printing Company Business Cards Near Me,
Cheap Business Cards Printing Near Me,
Business Cards And Flyers Printing Near Me,
Business Cards Design And Printing Near Me,
Is It Cheaper To Print Your Own Business Cards,

on topic

License and Use

This Business Cards Near Me Printing - turnpike-street-388-the-calendar-gas-station-388-turnpike-st-easton-ma-source-green-flyer-info-easton-historical-society on image has 773x1023 pixels (original) and is uploaded to . The image size is 204049 byte. If you have a problem about intellectual property, child pornography or immature images with any of these pictures, please send report email to a webmaster at , to remove it from web.

Any questions about us or this searchengine simply use our contact form

  • Published 05.17.22
  • Resolution 773x1023
  • Image type jpg
  • File Size 204049 byte.

Related Photos


comments powered by Disqus